What are Science Olympiads?
Olympiads are internationally recognized competitions in various fields of knowledge. They are the highest level examinations and are hosted by different countries every year. Participation in any of the Olympiads has worldwide recognition and is considered as a great achievement. International Olympiads are held every year in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Astronomy and Junior Science.
How do I go to (or participate in) the Physics (or Chemistry or Biology or Astronomy or Jr. Science) Olympiad?
You will have to appear for NSEP (or NSEC / NSEB / NSEA/ NSEJS) and then through the Indian National Physics Olympiad (INPhO or INChO or INBO or INAO or INOJS) you may be selected for the further stages of the respective International Olympiad Program.
Is there any other way to go to International Olympiads in these subjects?
No! There is none.
How do I enroll myself for any of these?
You must register from your OWN School / College. The Principal (or Physical or Science teacher) of your college / Jr.College / High School will enroll you. He will give you all further instructions. In case you have any difficulty then refer to our website www.iapt.org.in List of all NSE centres of last year (viz 2011-12) is available on the website. The name of contact person at the respective centre is also indicated. Enrollment at the centres only. No direct enrollment.
What are the fees?
Rs.100/= per student per subject (per examination) to be paid in cash to the centre incharge. DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY TO IAPT OFFICE. This exam fee cannot be refunded.
What are the details of the entire selection?
Entire selection process is merit based. Following procedure is laid down for the selection of students for the IInd stage (viz) Indian National Olympiads (INOs) of the selection process.
The total number of students who will qualify to appear for second stage Indian National Olympiads (INOs) 2013 will be based on the first stage NSEs 2012 respectively and the following scheme is adopted:
- Eligibility Clause: A candidate must secure a score equal to or greater than a Minimum Admissible Score (MAS) to be eligible for the stage II INO exam leading to the International Olympiad. The MAS for a given subject will be 40% of the maximum score in that subject
Proportional Representation Clause: The number of students selected for stage II (INO) in each subject is around 300. The number of candidates who appeared for NSE in 2011-12 in a subject from centres in each state or Union Territory (UT) will be considered the baseline for calculating the number qualifying from centres in that state or UT for that subject. Suppose this number in 2011-12 for centres in a given state in a given subject is S, and the total number that appeared in 2011-12 in that subject is T, then the number selected to stage II in that subject from that state would be S/T time 300, rounded off to the nearest higher integer. In the event of a tie at the last position in the list all students with the same marks at this position will qualify to appear for stage II examination. The selected students must nevertheless satisfy the eligibility clause laid out above. The total number to be selected from centres in each state for each subject will be displayed on the IAPT and HBCSE websites.
- Minimum Representation Clause: Notwithstanding the proportional representation clause the number of students selected for INO from each state and UT must be at least one, provided that the eligibility clause is satisfied.
- Merit Clause: Given the eligibility clause, it is conceivable that 300 students may not qualify for stage II in a subject. Should this occur, the shortfall (from 300) will be selected based purely on merit without further consideration to proportional Representation and Minimum Representation Clauses. In the event of a tie at the last position in the list all students with the same marks at this position will qualify to appear for the stage II examination.
Individual letter will be sent to these students informing that they have to appear for Indian National Olympiads (INOs). All these INOs are organized by HOMI BHABHA CENTRE for SCIENCE EDUCATION (HBCSE) Mumbai. Indian team to participate in International Olympiad is selected from the OCSC in respective subject.
For more details visit: www.hbcse.tifr.res.in/olympiads and / or www.iapt.org.in
Are there any other fees for these INOs or camps?
NONE! you pay only once at the time of enrollment; that's all.
Evaluation procedure for Physics (NSEP)Part A evaluated of ALL the students. Part B is assessed ONLY of those students securing more than a certain "cut off" marks in part A. Note, Part B is NOT Evaluated of ALL the students. Students eligible to appear for INPHO are selected on the basis of marks obtained in parts A and B taken together.
Are there any CERTIFICATES/AWARDS?
- In each subject, certificates are given to top 10% students of every centre.
- Merit Certificates are awarded to top 1% students in each state, in each subject.
- Special Merit Certificates and a prize (book) will be awarded to National top 1% students in each subject.
- Gold Medals are awarded to the top 35 students from INPhO, INChO and INBO examinations.
Are Question papers available?
Yes. Set of last four year's question papers with answers / solutions (in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Astronomy) is available. You have to send a DD of Rs.100/- in favour of "IAPT" payable at Pune to our office and set will be dispatched by Regd. Post / Courier... Write your name and complete postal address (with PIN) on the back of DD. A set of last three years question papers with answers / solutions (in Jr.Science) is available. Send a DD of Rs.50/- in favour of "IAPT" payable at Pune to our office and set will be dispatched by Regd. Post / Courier.. Write your name and complete postal address (with PIN) on the back of DD.
- Prof.R.M.Dharkar: Chief Co-ordinator of IAPT exams
- Prof.M.L.Oglapurkar: Co-ordinator, NSEP, NSEC, NSEB
- Prof. J.P. Gadre: Co-ordinator, NSEA / NSEJS
- I.A.P.T. Office, I.I.E. Campus,
- 128/2, J.P. Naik Marg, Kothrud
- Tel. (Off) 020-25420163; and 020 20252754
- e-mail: [email protected]; Website: www.iapt.org.in